Friday, April 6, 2007

Am I Cool Enough?

The other day I was headed south on I-5 to Tacoma when I drove up next to a Hummer H3 all decked out with fancy decals and lettering across most of the car. At first I couldn't figure out what the heck it was all about, but soon I noticed that it was a government owned H3 advertising the US Marines. It wasn't but one day later that I again was on the freeway when I saw a van with the same sort of artwork all over the vehicle...this time the ad wasn't for a branch of our military, it was for a church! A wave of thoughts and questions soon flooded my mind and still rattle inside me today. What made the Marines feel like they had to become cool by driving around in some pipmed out H3? It seems to me that the Marines have never had to portray being cool to anyone. They're the Marines! Are today's teenage boys and girls so wrapped up into image that even the most bad-ass soldiers in the world have to play the cool game? Since when did churches feel they have to spend money to pimp their vans? Does it really make others' who are driving down the road think..."Oooh, what a cool van, I think I'll go there this Sunday."? Why do we as church leaders have to be put out a cool product? I understand relavence and it's importance in today's culture but I think there's a fine line between being relevant and being cool. I think Jesus was, and still is today the most relevant person this world has ever seen. He lived to engage with his culture the message of God and that there is hope and freedom to be had...in all this was he striving to be cool? I certainly hope not. I also hope I as a pastor can lead a relevant church and not worry so much about being cool. I'll keep you updated as to how I am doing with this one...

Peace and Love,
Rex

No comments: