Thursday, June 7, 2007

Top 10

Today I was driving home from the office listening to the radio when maybe the most popular song of my generation came on..."Thriller" by Michael Jackson. I havn't listened to this song in years and as I drove down the road jammin to the former king of pop I realized how influencial this song was on me as a 13 year old. It was the Thriller album that made me want to learn to break dance and for about 4 years my life revolved around parachute pants and the soundtrack to "Breakin" as I did my thing on a giant piece of cardboard. Well, this had me thinking that I would think of a Top 10 list of albums that influenced me the most as a teen and young adult. These aren't neccasarily the best albums, just most influencial. I would love to hear your thoughts and maybe your own top 10 albums.

Why do I suddenly feel like Jack Black from the movie "High Fidelity"...



Here it is...



10. Phil Collins- No Jacket Required - The song Sussudio was so cool!

9. Lionel Richie- Can't Slow Down - Hello was the first love song I ever got into.

8. Queensryche- Empire- Maybe the best studio recording ever as well as best album at high volume while in a car.

7. Michael Jackson- Thriller- See above

6. Van Halen- OU812- I have to admit that as a junior in HS I thought Sammy Hagar was the man, and I wanted to sing just like him!

5. Sade- Love Deluxe- This album was played in my headphones many a night during college to help me sleep. There is no voice like that of Sade!

4. Pearl Jam- Yield- My favorite of all PJ albums...because of this album I bought a guitar , but never took lessons. :(

3. U2- Rattle and Hum- My first exposure to social justice through music.

2. Alice in Chains- Dirt- Great album, but had big-time negative influence on me during a period of my life where faith was difficult.

1. Pearl Jam- Ten- This album spoke to Gen X better than any other...at 35 years old, PJ is still my favorite band of all-time!

Peace and Love,
Rex

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.