Sunday, January 14, 2007

Extreme Makeovers

A couple years ago a buddy of mine was telling me that his favorite show was Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. He said that every time he watched it he cried. I said he was a sissy for crying over just another lame reality tv series. It wasn't 2 weeks later that I found myself on the couch watching one Sunday night, the very show I had made fun of. I have to confess a secret about that night...I cried. Since then I watch this show most every Sunday and still I cry. I can't help it...there's something about seeing people getting a second chance! Tonight I watched as a hispanic family in Chicago walked into an absolutely beautiful home...complete with state of the art appliances and plasma tv's, this was an over-the-top makeover. During the "walk through" part of the show the mother stops and breaks down in tears of joy, beginning to reflect on their family's hardships...She too is amazed at second chances. It's at this point that I begin to think about the scripture in 1 John where it says "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us". God in his mercy has given me so many second chances and each time he forgives and restores me he lavishes his love on me! God takes what was old, and nasty and creates beauty and value...it's amazing to me. May we all find ourselves amazed at God's work in our souls.

Peace and Love to you,
Rex

No comments: