Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar and the Revolution

Did you watch the Oscars last night? Do you care about who wins or what movie gets best picture? I was one of about a billion people in the world who watched last night and to be honest I love the Academy Awards. I love them because I love movies...I love movies that have a point, that make me think, that express art and the beauty of humanity. I was really hoping that Babel would win best picture, but Departed was a great film in it's own right. I was excited that Forrest Whitaker (see him in Ghost Dog...The Way of the Samurai) won best actor for his very impressive role in the Last King of Scotland! I do have to admit that the "night at the Oscars" had me thinking once again about just how much we are surrounded by the influence of money, stuff, and beauty (when I say beauty I mean in the way of having a pretty face and a skinny body). Today the news of the day isn't about war or who's running for president, but rather who was a fashion hit and who was a miss. This truly saddens me...it makes me wonder just how much influece Hollywood and the media are having on us and particularly our youth. As Christ followers we're not at war with Hollywood as some would think or suggest, but we are in a revolution. A revolution that speaks of what true beauty is, and understands the life of contentment. This revolution can and is changing the world! Jesus said it would not be easy and very few would choose to follow him, but those who do will have the help of the Holy Spirit to give them wisdom in a world that is looking for Truth.
How do you want to revolutionize our community? What changes do you think you can bring? How can we work together to make these changes?

Love and Peace,
Rex

No comments: